Association of Breast Surgeons of India
(A section of the Association of Surgeons of India)
Constitution & Bye Laws
The name of the Association will be THE ASSOCIATION OF BREAST SURGEONS OF INDIA
), a section
of The Association of Surgeons of India
The office of ABSI is the place from where the Honorary Secretary functions.
ABSI is formed as per guidelines set in Schedule 11 of memorandum of ASI and has been approved as a Section of ASI in 2010.
The objectives of the ABSI shall be:
- To promote the art & science of Breast disease in the Indian Subcontinent
- To advance standards and training in Breast Disease amongst members of the medical profession and professions allied to medicine .To formulate structured training including assessment programmes in collaboration with National and International institutions
- To develop Breast Surgery as a distinct Subspecialty in India
- To promote the study and research of Breast Disease
- To bring out (from time to time) a consensus statement regarding the standardized and optimum management of various breast diseases in Indian scenario [“in order to find an Indian solution to Indian problems”].
- To represent Surgeons practicing Breast Surgery on National & International platform.
- To create public awareness about the importance of early detection of breast cancer
There shall be five categories – Life, Associate, Affiliate, Overseas & Honorary . Membership
. Applications shall be considered by the Executive Committee of ABSI, who shall determine eligibility for membership. Applications scrutinized by the Executive Committee of ABSI will be submitted to the General Body for approval.
A Life member of ABSI shall be a full life member of ASI. General Surgeons, Surgical Oncologists & Plastic Surgeons with MS, DNB, Mch or equivalent qualifications/training, who have expressed an interest in Breast Surgery & devote considerable proportion of their professional time to practicing the art & science of Breast surgery will be eligible for Life membership. Membership fee shall be Rs 2000. The fee may be raised from time to time after approval by the General body.
Trainees (MS, DNB, MCh) in General Surgery, Surgical Oncology & Plastic Surgery, who have expressed an interest in Breast Surgery will be eligible for Associate Membership. Membership fee shall be Rs 1500. The fee may be raised from time to time after approval by the General body
Radiologists, Pathologists, Medical Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists, Breast Cancer Advocacy groups & Nurses who have expressed interest in the care of patients presenting with Breast disease & in creating breast cancer awareness will be eligible for Affiliate Membership. Membership fee shall be Rs 1500. The fee may be raised from time to time after approval by the General body
General Surgeons, Surgical Oncologists & Plastic Surgeons living overseas with well recognised qualifications who have expressed an interest in Breast Surgery & devote considerable proportion of their professional time to practicing the art & science of Breast surgery will be eligible for Overseas membership. Overseas members shall not be entitled to contest for election to the Executive Committee of ABSI. Membership fee shall be US $ 300. The fee may be raised from time to time after approval by the General body.
Should an Overseas Member decide to settle in India, he/she would be admitted as Life Member of ABSI without paying any further subscription. He/she should however become a Life Member of ASI before being admitted as Life Member of ABSI
: An Internationally renowned Surgeon or an individual who has made outstanding contribution to Breast Surgery or to ABSI may be considered for Honorary Membership. No more than one Honorary member will be selected in a year
Termination of Membership:
- If a member of ABSI ceases to be a member of ASI, he/she will cease to be member of ABSI.
- If a member fails to pay subscription of ASI by due date or resigns, he/she will cease to be a member of ABSI.
The year of the ABSI shall be May/June of the year to May/June of the following year. The new Office bearers shall be installed during the General Body meeting at NATCON ABSI & they shall assume Office after completion of the Annual Conference.
The four Zones are highlighted below:
Power of Executive Committee of ABSI:
|Delhi, Haryana, Punjab,Himachal Pradesh, Jammu
and Kashmir, Chandigarh, Uttar Pradesh and Uttaranchal
|Bihar,Jharkhand,Chattisgarh, Orissa, West Bengal, Assam & North Eastern states
|Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Goa
|Kerala, Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Pondicherry, Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadeep
Shall be same as that of the Governing Council of ASI. The function and responsibility of different Office bearers of ABSI will be same as that of ASI. The Hon Secretary will maintain and present the audited accounts each year at the annual conference.
Meeting and Conference
Complaint & Grievance Cell:
- ABSI shall hold Annual General Body Meeting during the Annual conference of ABSI. Other meetings, be it Scientific, Social/Executive Committee/General Body in nature, may be held as per the requirements of ABSI.
- ABSI shall organize Annual Conference once every year and appoint an organizing secretary for the conference at its Annual General Body Meeting.
- ABSI shall organize Sectional meeting at ASICON each year
Immediate three Past Presidents of ABSI will be members of this Cell. In addition to Election disputes, the following complaints will also be addressed by the Cell
- Assignment of category of membership
- Admission to membership
The Cell will conduct an enquiry & submit its report to the Executive Committee of ABSI for final decision.
Filling up casual vacancies
- In the event, the position of President falls vacant due to unforeseen circumstances, President Elect will take over as President for the residual term
- In the event, the position of Hon Secretary falls vacant due to unforeseen circumstances, the Executive Committee of ABSI will appoint a member from within the Executive Committee as Hon Secretary for the residual term
- In the event, the position of Honorary Treasurer falls vacant due to unforeseen circumstances, the Executive Committee of ABSI will appoint a member from within the Executive Committee as Hon Treasurer for the residual term.
- In the event, the position of Director, Education & Training falls vacant due to unforeseen circumstances, the Executive Committee of ABSI will appoint a member from within the Executive Committee as Director, Education & Training for the residual term.
- In the event, the position of Executive Committee Member falls vacant due to unforeseen circumstances, the post shall be kept vacant for the residual term
An annual report stating the activities of the year shall be prepared by the Hon. Secretary for Annual General Body Meeting, a copy of which will be sent to headquarters of ASI.
Accounts of the year:
Accounts of the year of ABSI shall be prepared by Hon. Secretary and audited by an auditor appointed by General Body within six months of closing of the year. This shall be placed in the General Body Meeting, and after adoption, a copy will be sent to Headquarters of ASI.
Annual General Body Meeting:
- Annual General Body Meeting (AGM) shall be held once every year on the penultimate date of Annual Conference
- The following business will be transacted in the GBM.
Audited accounts of the previous year
Programme and budget of the next year
Recipients of Oration/orations for following year
The venue of Annual Conference and appointment of Organizing Secretary
Election of the Office bearers
Any other business with the permission of the President.
Income of the ABSI shall be derived from:
Investment & utilization of funds:
- Admission fees and subscription from life members, Associate members, Affiliate Members & Overseas Members
- Excess of income over expenditure at Annual Conference: The entire amount saved after conducting the Annual Conference must be submitted with an audited report on income and expenditure to Central ABSI Funds
ABSI shall have account with nationalized or reputed bank to be operated by persons authorized by General Body. The surplus fund after meeting statutory annual expenditure shall be invested in fixed deposits of such banks and approved securities or in any other manner to be decided at the General Body Meeting. The accounts will be operated as per provisions of memorandum of ASI. The proceeds of income from various deposits and investments shall be strictly spent for specific purpose for which such fund/funds are created.
ABSI shall be represented as per Memorandum of ASI.
Amendment of Bye-laws:
Any of the bye-laws of ABSI may be altered or rescinded to or new bye-laws at General Body Meeting by majority vote. The amendment shall come into force after it is circulated to all members and provided objection to such amendment of ABSI is not received from ASI and 50% of valid members of ABSI within three months from the date of circulation of canadian casinos. A copy of such amendment is to be sent to Headquarters of ASI.